I had a slow day yesterday which afforded me some time during lunch hour(s).
I stopped by a nursery looking for nothing in particular when this berberis darwinii jumped out at me. I've been on a shohin kick lately. I've more to post in the near future in fact. At $15 it didn't take more than a cursory look at the base to decide to take this guy home.
After cutting 85% of the tree off, carefully avoiding thorns, and breaking off another 5% (oops) this is what we're left with. I have a pot ready to go for spring time when the buds start swelling. There is a bare spot on the left. LOOK I TOLD YOU I BROKE A BRANCH!!! :) Truth is, these things are very brittle and even moreso this time of year. No worries. There are buds in perfect locations to fill the void this coming spring and summer.
My goal with this is to cut it back continuously during the late spring after it's motor is jump started.
This maybe took an hour of cutting and just a touch of wire.
Thank you for stopping in to look.
Pardon the picture quality. Evidently I took these pictures with a potato.
Follow up post HERE