Monday, September 2, 2013

Hollywood Juniper Progression

I got an expiring groupon for a local nursery from my mother. Free trees? Sure. I picked this up for about $35 or so and had $5 left over for some perlite.

This is the earliest picture I have of it.

Because it was long and thin I decided to try and put some big bends into the trunk. So raffia and heavy wire got me to this point:

I left a lot of extra foliage. Something I read about the health of the plant. So it was in this stage for quite some time. over the last year I've removed foliage slowly. The tree has been gaining vigor and has shown much growth. Here it is after a season of good growth.

After thinning out a bit:

Carnage shot:



Slightly different angle on front to consider:

Close up of foliage:

I'd like the top right of the crown to fill in much more. I hope in a season or two it will look more balanced yet still sparse. 

Thank you for looking!



After some tweaking and wire removal:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the tweak you made in the last photo.