Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Styling a Cascade

This has been sitting on my bench for over a year untouched. It was actually one of the first junipers I bought and had no idea how to go about styling. This morning, in my garage, I noticed it had some wires cutting into it where I had given the apex a rough shaping last winter. I removed them and decided one of the branches on the top of the tree was too long; snip. Then I started to look more into its structure and the next thing you know it's in the kitchen ready to get work done.

Jess came by and together we discussed design and branch selection. She got her first taste of wiring and pruning. 


It took about four hours and I'm not certain this design is final, but it was a great day spent working together on a project. For the first time ever, I was the most knowledgeable person in the room :) 

This is how it wound up. The bottom most pad is in jeopardy. It took a slight crack during a less than careful bend and while it may survive, it may be too far removed to work with the design. 


Thanks for checking in!


No comments: