I got this last summer from a nursery that had to import it from California. Shimpaku is hard to find around here. It was a decent price and I might actually grab another at some point. So anyways, the base doesn't have a really good trunk, no nebari to speak of, and about 9 or 10 different stalks sticking up. Didn't really see much potential to make it a bonsai after I got it home. So I've been thinking about it for months now. I think I finally have my plan. I'm going to pick one stalk to turn into a shimpaku literati and air layer the rest of them down to about 6 inches above the soil line. They are all about thick enough to be a pain in the butt to wire and add movement to but not so thick that it will take heavy hardware beyond a 6 gauge wire. Or two.
I'll be planting each airlayer seperately sometime in summer hopefully. I've read different things about how long it will take to get these to root. I'm averaging it all out to about 8 weeks. So then, I'll start the airlayer in 2 weeks and have 6-8 new junipers to start training.
I was talking to a mentor of sorts about selling trees. He suggested getting 5-10 of each tree you want to work on and keep the best one. I could sell the other 5 for about 5 to 10 times the price and use that money to reinvest. Essentially, a strategy to have bonsai pay for itself. I'm going to employ this tactic with Azaleas and this Shimpaku. I think it cost me about $35 or so. I imagine I could sell each of the air layers for about the same price... We'll see. I have to successfully root them first.
I'm going to use the remaining foliage for grafts onto my big ol' Parsonii trunks. Biting off more than I can chew is in the plans for this spring/summer.
Bear with me. :)