Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Burnt up cuttings

Weekend update:

Every single cutting I put out burned. Next time I will try putting them in the garage and therefore avoiding such serious heat. I will also be looking into picking up some pumice. I am not sure if the 2/3 peat and 1/3 perlite did the trick... Most likely it was the random 70 degree day and the bag secured too tightly essentially baking the guys. My bad guys. My bad.

Repotted another sargentii juniper:




I have further reduced the tree last night. It will lend itself to an informal upright very nicely. In time. Right now that trunk needs to thicken so I'll be fertilizing heavy this year.

Fertilizing starts in 2 weeks from yesterday.

I ordered 8 magazine (Bonsai Today) from Stone Lantern. They should get in today. I think the detailed procedures presented in magazines is excellent and not duplicated anywhere else. I just wish there was an online database of these articles..

Last night I redid 2 of my air layers because they appeared too small.

Found a great app for tracking the sun's path for any day of the year: Sun Surveyor is free and useful in learning about sun patterns.

That's all for right now.

edit:  photo of the reduction


2 comments:

Horiuchi Bonsai said...

Did you give the cuttings zero direct sunlight

Bernard Robinson Jr. said...

In fact they were in the sun. This year, all of my cuttings are under the bench and most of them are still looking good.